Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Capable of or producing contraction.‘the contractile activity of the human colon’
- ‘Smooth muscle fibers usually contract slowly but are capable of sustained contractile activity.’
- ‘The contractile activity in the distal esophagus was normal with propagating contractions of appropriate amplitude and duration.’
- ‘Smooth muscle cells possess a contractile apparatus consisting of actin and myosin filaments and the cytoskeleton.’
- ‘Good correlation exists between findings in vitro and the observed contractile properties in vivo.’
- ‘Locomotor skeletal muscle protein synthesis is sensitive to contractile activity and rapidly decreases within the first hours of reduced use.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.