Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Capable of or producing contraction.‘the contractile activity of the human colon’
- ‘Smooth muscle cells possess a contractile apparatus consisting of actin and myosin filaments and the cytoskeleton.’
- ‘The contractile activity in the distal esophagus was normal with propagating contractions of appropriate amplitude and duration.’
- ‘Locomotor skeletal muscle protein synthesis is sensitive to contractile activity and rapidly decreases within the first hours of reduced use.’
- ‘Good correlation exists between findings in vitro and the observed contractile properties in vivo.’
- ‘Smooth muscle fibers usually contract slowly but are capable of sustained contractile activity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.