One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The standard form of the card game bridge, in which only tricks bid and won count toward the game, as opposed to auction bridge.
- ‘During this period it began to lose ground in favour of bridge, especially contract bridge.’
- ‘Although superseded by the crossword puzzle craze and contract bridge, it continued to be popular among Jewish matrons until the 1960s.’
- ‘The late eighteenth-century game of high-stakes poker, which the Revolution and Napoleon had turned into Russian roulette, gave way to contract bridge.’
- ‘Duplicate contract bridge, in which each competitor or team plays identical hands under similar conditions, is the main form of competitive bridge.’
- ‘This is the game that the plain word ‘bridge ‘originally referred to, before the development of auction bridge and then today's 'contract bridge.'’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.