One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Plowing along the contours of the land in order to minimize soil erosion.
- ‘Jefferson was aware of the problem, and tried to mitigate it by what we would term contour ploughing on his hilly estate.’
- ‘Programmes were instituted to fill dongas, build contour banks, and promote contour ploughing.’
- ‘Good gravel extraction methods are required for downstream rivers, and farmers are using contour plowing and terracing to slow the overall movement of water and soil.’
- ‘The second part deals with methods to improve water infiltration and storage, including contour ploughing, mulching and cover crops.’
- ‘In contour plowing, the plowman plows perpendicular not parallel to slopes.’
- ‘Farmers can help to prevent nitrogen pollution by contour plowing.’
- ‘Many terraces were constructed and most farmers adopted contour plowing.’
- ‘This can be eliminated to a major extent if contour ploughing and contour sowing is taken up.’
- ‘The furrows left by the plow in contour plowing act as small terraces which prevent runoff from carrying soil away.’
- ‘Actual erosion and land degradation hardly occurs on rainfed arable cropping areas with grass strips and where contour ploughing is practiced.’
- ‘In this case, it should consist of contour ploughing on a narrow band of sloping land.’
- ‘Educators need the equivalent of the tractor, contour plowing, and hybridization.’
- ‘As well as using contour grass barriers and contour ploughing, farmers have been experimenting with green manures.’
- ‘Examples might be contour plowing, where the contour needs to be re-established periodically, or delayed haying for nesting birds, which reduces forage value.’
- ‘As noted, contour plowing of fields and contour furrows on grassland improved water retention and prevented runoff.’
- ‘A disadvantage is that contour ploughing is unsuited to heavy soils (with high clay content and low infiltration rates), in districts subject to intense rain.’
- ‘Crop rotation, contour plowing, and the careful use of fertilizers and pest controls increased productivity, but the same techniques made it easier for bigger farms to become even more productive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.