Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Plowing along the contours of the land in order to minimize soil erosion.
- ‘Programmes were instituted to fill dongas, build contour banks, and promote contour ploughing.’
- ‘Actual erosion and land degradation hardly occurs on rainfed arable cropping areas with grass strips and where contour ploughing is practiced.’
- ‘Examples might be contour plowing, where the contour needs to be re-established periodically, or delayed haying for nesting birds, which reduces forage value.’
- ‘Crop rotation, contour plowing, and the careful use of fertilizers and pest controls increased productivity, but the same techniques made it easier for bigger farms to become even more productive.’
- ‘This can be eliminated to a major extent if contour ploughing and contour sowing is taken up.’
- ‘As noted, contour plowing of fields and contour furrows on grassland improved water retention and prevented runoff.’
- ‘The second part deals with methods to improve water infiltration and storage, including contour ploughing, mulching and cover crops.’
- ‘Many terraces were constructed and most farmers adopted contour plowing.’
- ‘Jefferson was aware of the problem, and tried to mitigate it by what we would term contour ploughing on his hilly estate.’
- ‘Good gravel extraction methods are required for downstream rivers, and farmers are using contour plowing and terracing to slow the overall movement of water and soil.’
- ‘In this case, it should consist of contour ploughing on a narrow band of sloping land.’
- ‘The furrows left by the plow in contour plowing act as small terraces which prevent runoff from carrying soil away.’
- ‘As well as using contour grass barriers and contour ploughing, farmers have been experimenting with green manures.’
- ‘In contour plowing, the plowman plows perpendicular not parallel to slopes.’
- ‘Farmers can help to prevent nitrogen pollution by contour plowing.’
- ‘A disadvantage is that contour ploughing is unsuited to heavy soils (with high clay content and low infiltration rates), in districts subject to intense rain.’
- ‘Educators need the equivalent of the tractor, contour plowing, and hybridization.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.