Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the mainly small feathers which form the outline of an adult bird's plumage.
plume, quillView synonyms
- ‘The lining of breeding nests sometimes included small contour feathers of unidentified bird species.’
- ‘The insulation theory is based on the conclusion that primitive feathers were a type of contour feather.’
- ‘A contour feather from the tail, as well as a small piece of skin from the abdomen, were removed from the specimen.’
- ‘A set of avian feathers have even been found, including a superb fragment of a contour feather.’
- ‘They often share a follicle with a contour feather.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.