One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fraction of infinite length whose denominator is a quantity plus a fraction, which latter fraction has a similar denominator, and so on.
- ‘He made substantial contributions to the analytical theory of numbers and worked on elliptic functions, continued fractions, and infinite series.’
- ‘In the continued fraction of the square root of an integer the same denominators recur periodically.’
- ‘However he also worked on differential equations, matrices and other topics in algebra, continued fractions, geometry and number theory.’
- ‘He wrote his doctoral thesis on algorithms for continued fractions which he submitted to the University of St Petersburg.’
- ‘Catalan published extensively on continued fractions and number theory.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.