One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light breakfast, typically consisting of coffee and rolls with butter and jam.
- ‘We are providing a choice of a cooked breakfast or a continental breakfast and are hoping people will pop in.’
- ‘This includes a continental breakfast - an Irish breakfast is €3 extra.’
- ‘There's a continental breakfast buffet if you're hungry, as well.’
- ‘The popular student program on Wednesday, April 6, will begin with a continental breakfast and networking session at 8: 15 AM.’
- ‘What's funny is that, although we offer a European continental breakfast, people come in early in the morning and eat steak instead.’
- ‘A modest continental breakfast is an added option at €6.50, but you might want to put the money towards something more substantial in the neighbourhood.’
- ‘No scurvy on this ship: All kinds of fresh fruits and juices, fresh croissants and muffins, and yogurt make a substantial continental breakfast.’
- ‘There's a limited room service available via the restaurant next door, and a continental breakfast is also available in-room.’
- ‘Registration and a continental breakfast begin at 8 a.m. Friday.’
- ‘Travellers staying in the hotel's executive floor can access the Executive Lounge and get complimentary continental breakfasts, afternoon tea and evening drinks.’
- ‘The exhibit floor opens at 8 am - at which time there is a continental breakfast served, until 9 am.’
- ‘A continental breakfast and a chilled gourmet dinner are included.’
- ‘Traditionally, meals were patterned after Spanish custom: a continental breakfast, a large midday meal, and a modest supper.’
- ‘Between this and the continental breakfast they're serving in the hotel, I'm going to be almost set as far as chow goes.’
- ‘Dad reports back in a few minutes: the manager had argued that our meal had indeed been a full continental breakfast.’
- ‘And we are in luck - they serve a continental breakfast.’
- ‘The Women's Hospital serves a continental breakfast for most new mothers, allows for more flexible breakfast times and provides larger portions of food than on a regular tray.’
- ‘Toasts, breads, bagels, continental breakfasts, pates, soups and baguettes presented themselves for our consideration.’
- ‘After they all went through the lines and had loaded their plates with a somewhat continental breakfast, everyone was feasting quickly, grateful for the relief from fast food.’
- ‘We went for our continental breakfast around this time, and had no conversation with our table mates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.