One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Italian peasant or rustic.
bumpkin, country bumpkin, country cousin, rustic, countryman, countrywoman, country dweller, daughter of the soil, son of the soil, peasant, provincial, oaf, lout, boor, barbarianView synonyms
- ‘Heavily influenced by the traditional contadino culture passed on from their parents, the second generation uneasily straddled two worlds.’
- ‘Dusty roads, terracotta roofs, gap-toothed contadini; in reality it looks just as it does in the brochures.’
- ‘Of course these southern workers, or contadini, have no idea that the simple food they will eat has inspired these two women for decades.’
- ‘In one window, a distressed officer sits at a sturdy acacia desk, scrawling a final correspondence of some illiterate contadino killed weeks before on an accursed massif.’
- ‘Both in their seventies, they are contadini - peasant farmers - who have suffered from the recession in farming but who are making the best of what they have.’
Italian, from contado, denoting the peasant population around a city.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.