Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for making and breaking an electric circuit.
- ‘A combination circuit breaker/motor starter includes a circuit breaker trip unit having a microprocessor and at least one removably connectable contactor or other functional module.’
- ‘The plasma contactor system safely grounds the station from this high voltage, protecting it from arcing, which could severely damage its surface.’
- ‘After two weeks of scrubbing the aircraft for causes, the problem was traced to a loose wire in the back of the emergency-battery contactor.’
- ‘Rewire the ignition switch so that it can turn on all the new equipment, including the contactor.’
- ‘That Sunday, our electricians discovered the external-power contactor, installed in 1983, had broken.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.