One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sport in which the participants necessarily come into bodily contact with one another.
- ‘While potentially dangerous, field hockey is not a contact sport like ice hockey, but spectators will appreciate its subtleties and fast pace.’
- ‘The full contact sport, in which heavily armored wheelchairs are used to make crushing ‘tackles’, is the fastest growing wheelchair sport in the world.’
- ‘It is a non contact sport which the children really enjoy.’
- ‘If your pregnancy is going smoothly, you are not physically limited - unless you participate in a strenuous sport like fencing, kickboxing or a contact sport, such as soccer.’
- ‘It's too bad that basketball has become such a contact sport that players are rewarded for being pumped up on steroids or resorting to playground style aggression.’
- ‘Even if you are in a contact sport like rugby, boxing or karate, you should know when your body needs a rest.’
- ‘The camps educate coaches and players on as fair and safe a way as possible to play that game, considering it is a contact sport.’
- ‘Last time we checked, Gaelic football was still a contact sport.’
- ‘Roller derby wasn't a contact sport when it was invented in the 1930s.’
- ‘As football is increasingly becoming a contact sport, fractures, cuts and bruises are common injuries.’
- ‘Football is a contact sport in which you get bumped and banged the whole time.’
- ‘Murderball is an unofficial term for the game recognised by the Paralympics as quadriplegic rugby - an aggressive contact sport played on indoor courts by tough men in customised wheelchairs.’
- ‘For example, if hemophilia prevents your child from participating in a contact sport, he or she can still be a part of the team as the scorekeeper or assistant manager.’
- ‘But what's the attraction of a heavy contact sport for these men who are past their physical prime?’
- ‘There's finally a contact sport that's interested in blending brain and brawn.’
- ‘Rugby is a contact sport, and injuries are as much part of the game as cauliflower ears and post-match pints.’
- ‘It is a rugged contact sport that demands great horsemanship, balance and ball-handling skills from the human combatants.’
- ‘In the end though, Lauren does compete in a contact sport, and so injury must always be a serious risk.’
- ‘Rugby is a contact sport that involves physical collisions among its players.’
- ‘Australian Rules football is a collision contact sport with speed, strength, and agility demands similar to those of rugby or American football.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.