One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sport in which the participants necessarily come into bodily contact with one another.
- ‘Football is a contact sport in which you get bumped and banged the whole time.’
- ‘Rugby is a contact sport that involves physical collisions among its players.’
- ‘For example, if hemophilia prevents your child from participating in a contact sport, he or she can still be a part of the team as the scorekeeper or assistant manager.’
- ‘Australian Rules football is a collision contact sport with speed, strength, and agility demands similar to those of rugby or American football.’
- ‘Murderball is an unofficial term for the game recognised by the Paralympics as quadriplegic rugby - an aggressive contact sport played on indoor courts by tough men in customised wheelchairs.’
- ‘In the end though, Lauren does compete in a contact sport, and so injury must always be a serious risk.’
- ‘The full contact sport, in which heavily armored wheelchairs are used to make crushing ‘tackles’, is the fastest growing wheelchair sport in the world.’
- ‘It is a rugged contact sport that demands great horsemanship, balance and ball-handling skills from the human combatants.’
- ‘Last time we checked, Gaelic football was still a contact sport.’
- ‘But what's the attraction of a heavy contact sport for these men who are past their physical prime?’
- ‘Rugby is a contact sport, and injuries are as much part of the game as cauliflower ears and post-match pints.’
- ‘Even if you are in a contact sport like rugby, boxing or karate, you should know when your body needs a rest.’
- ‘If your pregnancy is going smoothly, you are not physically limited - unless you participate in a strenuous sport like fencing, kickboxing or a contact sport, such as soccer.’
- ‘It's too bad that basketball has become such a contact sport that players are rewarded for being pumped up on steroids or resorting to playground style aggression.’
- ‘While potentially dangerous, field hockey is not a contact sport like ice hockey, but spectators will appreciate its subtleties and fast pace.’
- ‘Roller derby wasn't a contact sport when it was invented in the 1930s.’
- ‘It is a non contact sport which the children really enjoy.’
- ‘There's finally a contact sport that's interested in blending brain and brawn.’
- ‘As football is increasingly becoming a contact sport, fractures, cuts and bruises are common injuries.’
- ‘The camps educate coaches and players on as fair and safe a way as possible to play that game, considering it is a contact sport.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.