Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The major industrial process used to make sulfuric acid, by oxidizing sulfur dioxide in the presence of a solid catalyst and absorbing the resulting sulfur trioxide in water.
- ‘This page describes the Contact Process for the manufacture of sulphuric acid, and then goes on to explain the reasons for the conditions used in the process.’
- ‘Because of the purity of the acid produced, the contact process replaced the lead-chamber process during the late 1800s.’
- ‘A method for integrating salicide and borderless contact processes while avoiding current leakage at the shallow trench isolation edge is described.’
- ‘The population model used was a discrete-time version of the basic contact process, modified slightly to respond to the habitat types of the landscape.’
- ‘Contrarily to the conventional contact processes in which dry mixtures of sulphur dioxide and air are treated, wet gas is used in the wet gas process.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.