Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thin plastic lens placed directly on the surface of the eye to correct visual defects.
- ‘With this option, you wear a bifocal contact lens in your nondominant eye and a contact lens set for distance in your dominant eye.’
- ‘Note that the leaves flip by almost turning inside out - similar to the flipping of a contact lens, plastic lid or the reversal of a torn tennis ball.’
- ‘Soft sales in the company's contact lens and lens care segments led to an overall decline of 3.4%.’
- ‘This can either be a pair of spectacles, contact lens or an intraocular lens.’
- ‘It is difficult to see a clear contact lens in the solution, so for your convenience most corrective lenses have a light blue tint.’
- ‘At one point, I thought my contact lens had fallen out as I couldn't focus properly, but then I realised this was actually the desired effect.’
- ‘Should you lose a contact lens, don't crawl around looking for it.’
- ‘It left him unable to focus without a rigid contact lens which was impractical to insert, for instance, if he was called out in the middle of the night to answer an emergency when every moment counts.’
- ‘Ivins said the chain was also benefiting from its focus on the contact lens market where it believes the industry's major growth prospects lie.’
- ‘Your eyeglass or contact lens prescription should be stable for at least one year.’
- ‘The diameter of the contact lens with respect to the diameter of the cornea is looked at as well.’
- ‘You would save a lot if you purchased your Halloween lenses from an online contact lens retailer instead.’
- ‘The contact lens wearer has to be strongly motivated to learn to adapt to this irritant and develop the ocular tolerance necessary for comfortable lens wear.’
- ‘Protein accumulation on the contact lens can result in eye infection if the lens is not cleaned properly.’
- ‘Also, from time to time online contact lens retailers put selected lenses on sale, which can get you an even better discount.’
- ‘All contact lens users must remove and clean their lenses as instructed.’
- ‘The raw surface of your cornea repairs itself, assisted by a contact lens you wear as a bandage over your eye for three or four days after surgery.’
- ‘The eyes need to be moved in certain directions but this can easily be done with the contact lens in place.’
- ‘There was some consternation when Taylor required treatment in the first quarter of the match but this turned out to be no more than a contact lens change and normal service was quickly resumed.’
- ‘Tate was born with two different colored eyes, she took a lot of teasing coming up and now wears a contact lens to give the appearance that her eyes are the same.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.