One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An adult who willingly agrees to engage in an act, especially a sexual act.
- ‘If the allegation is true, he is not hurting anyone by being involved with consenting adults and has done nothing illegal.’
- ‘So they get around it in a variety of ways, such as calling it a true escort service and then if sex happens it is by mutual agreement by consenting adults.’
- ‘That is, she believed the State had no place in regulating the private sexual arrangements between consenting adults.’
- ‘It's none of your business what goes on in the bedrooms of consenting adults.’
- ‘What constitutes a marriage should be determined by contract between the consenting adults involved, not by government.’
- ‘Most Americans now believe that the private sexual conduct of two consenting adults is not the business of government.’
- ‘They defend prostitution as an extension of the right of consenting adults to perform whatever sexual acts they wish.’
- ‘The private sexual activity between consenting adults goes to the heart of what the Constitution means in theory and in practice.’
- ‘It is no one's business what consenting adults do in private, gay or not.’
- ‘To criminalize the expression of intimacy between consenting adults, in the privacy of their homes, is malice dressed up as morality.’
- ‘Britain had decriminalized homosexual acts in private between consenting adults in the Sexual Offenses Act 1967.’
- ‘What is the basis for the criminalisation of incest between consenting adults?’
- ‘A marriage should be defined as a loving, respectful and faithful commitment between two consenting adults.’
- ‘It's a perfectly legitimate free market transaction between consenting adults acting in their own perceived best interests.’
- ‘If you as a consenting adult, participate in a spots event that has risks and you are injured by one of those risks, then that is something which you must take on board yourself.’
- ‘On what legitimate basis does the government assert the authority to tell consenting adults what they may do with each other in the privacy of their own home?’
- ‘A society mature enough to cope with the explicit depiction of sex between consenting adults is likely to be one comfortable with sexual diversity and women's equality.’
- ‘As a liberal, I believe that the government should not be preferring or legally privileging any relationship between consenting adults.’
- ‘They claim that adultery is sex between consenting adults and, so, it is a personal matter.’
- ‘No adolescent is thought to be a consenting adult in advances made by a true adult, even though his or her body may be on the way to sexual maturity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.