Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The activity of seeking to make people more aware of personal, social, or political issues.as modifier ‘a consciousness-raising group’
- ‘Instead, they are vast, permanent networks of well-connected people willing to put in small amounts of time - often in the form of lobbying and consciousness-raising - against a few targeted diseases.’
- ‘She has resorted to metaphors of fluidity, for example; but in the end neither Swedish social-welfare programs nor consciousness-raising can actually make heterosexual relationships equal.’
- ‘Authentic political education or consciousness-raising did not occur.’
- ‘An assault intervention can be approached as would most interpersonal problems at camp including remedies such as problem solving, education, consciousness-raising, and boundary setting.’
- ‘His set of instructions began with the basics of putting line down on paper, a first step toward global consciousness-raising.’
- ‘Efforts to provide equality of access for full participation in society lead social change through consciousness-raising.’
- ‘I mean, I can't control what other people think, but I'm still enough of an activist to attempt a little subtle consciousness-raising when I can.’
- ‘Perhaps his greatest contribution to local consciousness-raising though was his work as local municipal librarian.’
- ‘It was a melting pot of New Leftists and former communists, and the group engaged in strike support and union organizing, political strategizing and consciousness-raising.’
- ‘The group engaged in both consciousness-raising and activism.’
- ‘Third, these organs give little attention to consciousness-raising through education or promotional activities that many observers would identify as indispensable components of an effective UN programme.’
- ‘It facilitates bonding through humour and consciousness-raising.’
- ‘The contacts and connections among women that these structures fostered facilitated consciousness-raising, a heightened awareness of the myriad forms of sexism and their debilitating effects.’
- ‘My favourite consciousness-raising effort is one I have mentioned many times before (and I make no apology, for consciousness-raising is all about repetition).’
- ‘The point is that consciousness-raising foregrounded one of feminism's most powerful insights, which is that experience does not transparently reflect a pre-given reality, but rather is itself a cultural construction.’
- ‘We feminists need to commit to consciousness-raising outside of the classroom, put our politics into practice, and refuse to let an academic version of Women's Studies be the sole space to learn about feminism and social justice.’
- ‘She said that while she would help with the physical rebuilding of the destroyed areas if asked, she felt the most important thing she could do there is consciousness-raising.’
- ‘Fellowship meetings can thus serve as a form of consciousness-raising but it is important not to rationalize away their religious aspect since they also strengthen women's faith.’
- ‘Despite years of consciousness-raising about the damaging effects of prejudice, stigma against overweight children is as common - if not more common - as it was 40 years ago, studies suggest.’
- ‘You need five years of consciousness-raising before you find the handle.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.