One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who conquers a place or people.‘a people ruled over by a foreign conqueror’figurative ‘a chance for revenge against his Olympic conqueror’
vanquisher, defeater, subjugatorView synonyms
- ‘After being narrowly beaten in the first race, the second day he was the first to congratulate his conqueror in the moment of victory.’
- ‘In the office they were conquerors; outside, they were under siege.’
- ‘Until 1773, at about the time the Spanish conquerors arrived, Antigua had been the capital of Guatemala.’
- ‘When we deplore the conqueror's extreme brutality, we must remember that all great warriors of the times were brutal.’
- ‘The challenge of dislodging the conquerors would be extreme and casualties massive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.