Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An artificial intelligence approach to cognition in which multiple connections between nodes (equivalent to brain cells) form a massive interactive network in which many processes take place simultaneously. Certain processes in this network, operating in parallel, are grouped together in hierarchies that bring about results such as thought or action.Also called parallel distributed processing
- ‘Eliminativists are interested in connectionism because it promises to provide a conceptual foundation that might replace folk psychology.’
- ‘He is an exponent of connectionism, the theory that behavior and thought should ultimately be explained in terms of physical connections between neurons.’
- ‘He also anticipated the themes associated with perceptual plasticity, developmental accounts of modularity, and connectionism.’
- ‘That led me into this debate about connectionism, which is about how you might build a neural network model of the mind.’
- ‘There is a major debate within the philosophy of mind between proponents of classical cognitive architecture and proponents of connectionism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.