Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Direct the steering of (a ship)‘he hadn't conned anything bigger than a Boston whaler’→ con
- ‘Together they stood in the foretops and conned the ship in through the seething maelstrom of the equatorial current.’
- ‘Then the lanky, bearded boatswain would take the helm while the captain conned the ship from one bridge wing or the other, with the chief engineer at his elbow’
- ‘Why is the term ‘bridge’ used to signify the place from where a ship is conned?’
The action or post of conning a ship.‘I quickly took the conn and restored the channel course’
- ‘The backup conn console across from Aaron exploded in a shower of sparks.’
- ‘Jetrel said getting out of the command chair and went over to the conn station.’
- ‘For example, his combat information center officer and operations officer had the conn through most of the Suez transit.’
- ‘An announcement came over the intercom: ‘QM1 Grob has the conn.’’
- ‘Cursing at the grueling task ahead of her she took out the Panel bolt ejector and began removing the outdated panel from the conn station.’
- ‘In season one episode one, he's simply a conn officer.’
- ‘Now, Mr. Morton, you have the conn and I have to get back to SickBay if I'm to be there when my son is born!’
- ‘‘Take the con,’ Saffron said, issuing what was probably the first order she'd ever given in her life.’
- ‘As rapidly as he had walked before, he went to the Directorate, and took the conn.’
- ‘Cameron spends most of the film at the conn of a submarine, bathed in powder-blue light.’
Early 17th century: apparently a weakened form of obsolete cond conduct, guide from Old French conduire, from Latin conducere (see conduce).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.