One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting double or triple bonds in a molecule which are separated by a single bond, across which some sharing of electrons occurs.
- ‘In molecules with conjugated bonds, saturated bonds (carbon atoms with four attached atoms) alternate with unsaturated bonds (carbon atoms with less then four attached atoms.)’
- ‘Chromophores interact with light in a unique way because they contain conjugated bonds, which consist of a network of alternating double and single bonds.’
- ‘The conjugated double bonds of this structure allow the chlorophyll molecule to absorb energy from sunlight.’
- ‘Fading occurs when any chemical process breaks the sequence of conjugated double bonds constituting the chromophore - the dye moiety that imparts colour.’
- ‘Recently we used this method to study the effect of conjugated double bonds in lipid acyl chains on phase behavior and membrane architecture of die lipids.’
(of a substance) reversibly combined with another.‘conjugated bile salts’
- ‘If the conjugated antibody binds to surface proteins on healthy cells, those cells are doomed, as the conjugate will be internalized and digested in the normal fashion.’
- ‘This increase occurred with both conjugated chemicals and unconjugated chemicals.’
- ‘A trendy nutritional supplement called CLA, for conjugated linoleic acid, may be more beneficial for animals than it is for people.’
- ‘Grass-fed burgers are high in conjugated linoleic acids, or CLA.’
- ‘During the three-year trial the scientists will work with the dairy industry on modifying feeding practices to produce cow's milk with the right type and level of conjugated linoleic acid.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.