One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A visit to a prisoner, by the spouse of the prisoner, especially for sexual relations.
- ‘Yes, our wives would visit us, but not in the sense of a conjugal visit, where you can have physical contact with them.’
- ‘The film uncovers a world where prisoners are largely self-governing; conjugal visits are permitted, and the cells are as vivid and colourful as the prisoners they confine.’
- ‘One time we got to spend one Christmas on a conjugal visit before they took conjugal visits away from lifers.’
- ‘The bills would give lesbian and gay couples rights equal to heterosexuals in areas such as pensions, tax treatment, and conjugal visits in prison.’
- ‘Prisoners, even life prisoners with no privileges of conjugal visits, have been held to have a constitutional right to marry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.