Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or like a cone.
sharp, spear-like, needle-like, spear-shaped, v-shaped, tapering, tapered, cone-shaped, conic, conical, acute, sharp-cornered, wedge-shaped, sharp-edged, edged, jagged, spiky, spiked, barbedView synonyms
- ‘Conic aspheres can also be tested with spherical wavefronts at their conic conjugate points.’
- ‘The conic shape of the eight small cyclones around the top of each vacuum creates a dramatic shape, but they are in place to serve a purpose first.’
- ‘The device looks like a conic bulb, which is connected to a discharge pump.’
- ‘At a zero field condition, the liquid crystal in the droplets was bistable, that is, the liquid crystal can be in either the reflecting planar state or the scattering focal conic state.’
- ‘How this connects up to conventional conic orbits is not entirely clear.’
- ‘If the sides of a polygon are restricted so that they pass through fixed points and all the vertices except one lie on fixed straight lines, the free vertex will describe a conic or a straight line.’
- ‘In many cases, the result is that the edge of the source is imaged to the edge of the receiver, and the reflector profile that performs the mapping is an off-axis conic.’
- ‘This theorem shows that if a cone is intersected by a plane in a conic, then the foci of the conic are the points where this plane is touched by the spheres inscribed in the cone.’
- ‘If all the vertices of a hexagon lie on a conic, and if the opposite sides intersect, then the points of intersection lie on a line.’
- ‘The book contains a wealth of information concerning the projective geometry of conics and quadrics.’
Late 16th century: from modern Latin conicus, from Greek kōnikos, from kōnos cone.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.