One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a legislative congress, especially the US House of Representatives.
- ‘It provides local activists with a tool to lobby city councils to urge their congresspersons to co-sponsor the legislation.’
- ‘To ‘audition,’ I had to write a letter to my congressperson asking for research money.’
- ‘Write your senator or congressperson in support of laws establishing organic standards.’
- ‘While nobody expects you to storm the steps of the Capitol to help a stray cat, realize your mayor and congressperson are working for you and the other people in your community.’
- ‘Congress has not found a way to handle this new means of communication, which swamped congresspersons with 80,000,000 e-mail messages during the past year.’
- ‘Take steps to resolve a political issue that worries you by writing your congressperson.’
- ‘Your congressperson is supposed to ‘represent’ you in congress, not the president or your senators.’
- ‘If you do not get a positive response, you may want to hold a rally at the congressperson's office.’
- ‘Such an effort could help amplify the efforts of thousands of interested individuals, cohere actions like ‘writing to your congressperson or Senator’ through standard forms and applications, etc.’
- ‘You encouraged girls to write to a local congressperson expressing their support for stem cell research.’
- ‘Fax your congressperson to tell them that it's time they protect sick and dying patients.’
- ‘Many of the veterans that gathered are now judges, congresspersons, state officials, well-heeled businesspersons and professionals.’
- ‘Try to arrange a meeting with the actual congressperson, not a hometown staffer who may not deal with policy issues.’
- ‘Write your congressperson and tell them this isn't where cuts should occur.’
- ‘By the mid-1990s, however, veterans were underrepresented rather than overrepresented among congresspersons.’
- ‘And please don't fool yourself into thinking that your congressperson is going to read every one of his/her thousands of letters a day.’
- ‘And we're going to move on to another congressperson in trouble.’
- ‘Are we not being sufficiently proactive in communicating with our own congresspersons, and educating them on the patient-centered mission and outcomes of our academic programs?’
- ‘She is the first congressperson in living memory to require a round the clock police guard.’
- ‘At a personal level, the first thing to do is keep up with your congressperson and ask, ‘What are you doing?’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.