One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high boot with elastic sides.
- ‘In person he was tall, with a slight stoop to his shoulders, and he wore the conventional double-breasted black coat, which reached to his knees, and square-toed congress boots.’
- ‘The congress boot had elastic panels in place of laces and a tab in the rear and sometimes the front as well, to aid in pulling the boot on.’
- ‘Then he flicked the handkerchief lightly over his tight-fitting mouse-gray trousers and his shining congress boots.’
- ‘The black wool pants have gold leaf on the seams of the pants which are worn with the congress boots and gold spurs.’
- ‘It is used for gores and gussets in the manufacture of congress boots, and, without the rubber, would not be adapted to that use.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.