One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Involving or produced by congestion of a part of the body.
- ‘Our results show that there is a dilatation of the choroidal vessels after sildenafil treatment and this may lead to congestive effects within the eye.’
- ‘Deficiencies have been linked to various heart conditions, including angina, congestive heart disease and mitral valve prolapse.’
- ‘These trials have modified and enhanced the therapeutic paradigm for heart failure and extended treatment goals beyond limiting congestive symptoms of volume overload.’
- ‘Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy showed nonbleeding esophageal varices and congestive gastropathy.’
- ‘These have included chest pain, myocardial infarction, congestive cardiac failure, severe headache requiring hospitalization, and pulmonary embolism.’
Mid 19th century: from congest (see congested) + -ive.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.