One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.
- ‘I believe this is what psychologists call "confirmation bias".’
- ‘Brooks is right - these explanations betray a rather ugly confirmation bias.’
- ‘There's a considerable danger of confirmation bias in this sort of thing.’
- ‘There's probably a strong confirmation bias going on with your words.’
- ‘Fear and the human tendency to confirmation bias and selective thinking can sometimes lead the believer to fulfill the curse.’
- ‘It appears now that some of the most eminent names in nutritional science practiced "confirmation bias".’
- ‘Experimenters might avoid or reduce confirmation bias by collaborating in experimental design with colleagues who hold contrary hypotheses.’
- ‘Perhaps most significant about the confirmation bias is that the doctrinal military decision-making process (MDMP) lends itself to its occurrence.’
- ‘Confirmation bias means we seek out information that fits with our worldview.’
- ‘Consider how this rule, in combination with the first, might change your conclusions, or at least challenge your confirmation bias.’
- ‘Conspiracy theorists, especially, display the confirmation bias.’
- ‘The last thing we need to do is reinforce confirmation bias.’
- ‘I think the answer amounts to confirmation bias.’
- ‘Psychologists call this "confirmation bias," the often unconscious need to find data that confirms what we already believe.’
- ‘Confirmation bias kicks in for the most part in a wholly subconscious manner.’
- ‘Projective personality testing is an example of confirmation bias.’
- ‘The command structure appears to have become a machine generating confirmation bias.’
- ‘Relying on personal experience ignores the possibility of self-deception and confirmation bias.’
- ‘Researchers are sometimes guilty of confirmation bias by setting up experiments or framing their data in ways that will tend to confirm their hypotheses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.