Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is to undergo the religious rite of confirmation.
- ‘In the case of confirmation, there is a special prayer that seeks the Holy Spirit's strengthening of the confirmand for his/her participation in the mission of the church.’
- ‘That was all the priest who taught our group of confirmands believed to be necessary, and it was not adequate.’
- ‘The 70 confirmands had received some prior training and here were given a diploma and rose.’
- ‘Then, in the confirmation prayer itself, while the bishop lays hands upon the confirmand, he prays, ‘empower him for your service.’’
- ‘When, in the next years, the churches decided to retain the practice of confirmation, this blessing with the laying on of hands was retained only for the confirmands.’
- ‘Even so, email prayer partnerships established between youth confirmands and older shut-ins bring generations closer together.’
- ‘And the confirmands appreciate their presence too.’
- ‘Confirmation branded its confirmands on their foreheads with the mark of episcopacy, and it was an in-your-face gesture to nonconformists and to others who held a low view of the episcopal office.’
- ‘Focusing on confirmands has the advantage of using a group that had a common starting point: some roughly similar degree of documented church involvement during adolescence.’
- ‘The remaining confirmands thought the hug was part of the ritual, and did the same.’
- ‘Scan the photographs into the computer and type in the names of each confirmand or graduate with their pictures.’
- ‘On confirmation Sunday at our church, each confirmand's Scripture passage was printed in the bulletin.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.