One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that is intended to be private or secret; privately.‘all queries will be treated confidentially’
privately, in private, in confidence, between ourselves, between themselves, between yourselves, off the record, quietly, secretly, in secret, behind closed doors, in cameraView synonyms
- ‘‘I like ice hockey because it's fast,’ he adds, confidentially.’
- ‘‘This year is going to be a good one,’ she said confidentially.’
- ‘And I went to him personally and said, look, can I talk about anything we might have discussed confidentially?’
- ‘All responses will be treated confidentially.’
- ‘Public servants should be able to communicate freely and confidentially with a minister and staff on controversial issues with ongoing sensitivity in the portfolio.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.