One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Candy and other sweets considered collectively.
sweets, bonbonsView synonyms
- ‘While levels of obesity have increased in recent decades, consumption of biscuits, cakes and confectionery has remained static.’
- ‘Russian chewing gum, Turkish confectionery, Mexican soft drinks and US fruit juices were all bought during the interim period.’
- ‘Even so, I can't help wondering how any piece of confectionery can survive in today's world when it is crowned with half a pound of crushed sugar lumps.’
- ‘It is a critical ingredient of the baking and confectionery worlds, as it prevents ingredients in food from separating.’
- ‘Secondly, I would like to point out that we are not talking about sweeties, confectionery, or cakes, but about medicines and pharmaceuticals.’
- ‘The National Trust has a coastal centre in the village, providing information about the area and selling gifts, confectionery and lollies.’
- ‘This was then blocked in by a further 10 pallets of cardboard boxes containing confectionery and muesli.’
- ‘The UK, meanwhile, is the second highest consumer of chocolate confectionery in Europe, beaten only by Switzerland.’
- ‘For instance, the makers of chocolate confectionery compete heavily in advertising but their prices remain remarkably similar.’
- ‘French macarons weren't my favorite confectionery.’
- ‘It isn't really the contents of these confectionery packages I have a problem with.’
- ‘Tea, coffee, home-made scones and confectionery will be served throughout the day.’
- ‘In 1998, the combined advertising spend on chocolate bars, toys and games, ice cream and sugar confectionery was £88.6m.’
- ‘These are eaten locally, either as dessert nuts or in chocolate and confectionery.’
- ‘One target for campaigners is the growing presence in schools of vending machines that dispense confectionery, crisps and soft drinks.’
- ‘For a city built on chocolate, York seems to produce some dire confectionery.’
- ‘‘We all need to eat fewer cakes, biscuits, confectionery and soft drinks,’ she said.’
- ‘They were rewarded in style for dreaming up and creating delectable ice cream and confectionery and whetting the appetites of ultra-discerning gourmets from across the globe.’
- ‘The idea to start manufacturing their own confectionery formed when they started giving their own handmade chocolates to friends as Christmas presents.’
- ‘There are soups, sauces, breads, margarines, confectionery, peanut butter, cordials and soft drinks, biscuits, and yoghurts.’
- 1.1 A shop that sells candy and other sweets.
- ‘There're three confectioneries / coffee shops in Fordsburg that will get your mouth watering the moment you walk in.’
- ‘Casino guests can also experience about two dozen restaurants, pubs, confectioneries and other shops in the Greektown neighborhood and nearby Harmonie Park.’
- ‘Take a trip to the western edge of the city, to Fordsburg, and try the eastern delights offered by several confectioneries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.