One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rounded protuberance at the end of some bones, forming an articulation with another bone.
- ‘Stability of the knee depends on the shape of the condyles and menisci in combination with ligamentous and muscular structures.’
- ‘Some of the tendinous fibers of vastus lateralis and vastus medialis run on each side of the patella to the tibial condyles.’
- ‘The lateral head arises from the lateral surface of the lateral condyle of the femur, proximal and posterior to the lateral epicondyle.’
- ‘What you are feeling is the condyle of the lower jaw.’
- ‘No patient had articular cartilage injuries of both femoral condyles.’
- ‘It extends to the posterior part of the medial surface of the lateral condyle of the femur.’
- ‘It presents medially a circular ‘articular surface of the head,’ directed anteroproximad and articulating with the lateral condyle of the tibia.’
- ‘No significant difference in total mean chondrocyte density between trochlear, patellar, tibial, and femoral condyles was observed.’
- ‘It is in its most superficial position as it passes over the medial condyles of the tibia and femur.’
- ‘When fully flexed, the posterior condyles of both the femur and tibia are in contact.’
- ‘Note that the sartorius muscle has become a thin band as it crosses over and behind the medial condyle of the femur.’
- ‘Twelve distal femoral condyles, proximal tibial condyles, and patellae were harvested; all soft tissue was removed.’
- ‘Although we understand many of these cues during natural development, we need to learn how to utilize them to tissue engineer mandibular condyles.’
- ‘The lower end of the femur articulates, through two condyles, with the top of the tibia, which is shaped rather like a plateau.’
- ‘The dentary was scaled so that the condyle articulated with the glenoid fossa and the lower caniniform occluded with the diastema between the upper first tooth and caniniform.’
- ‘The toothed margin is nearly straight, with the articular condyle at about the same level as the tooth row.’
- ‘Radiographs of the right knee demonstrated a bony fragment in the medial condyle of the femur.’
- ‘The pin was inserted on the medial condyle at a point halfway between the articular surface and the medial epicondyle and was aimed toward the tibial insertion.’
- ‘However, the position of the patella is controlled primarily by the geometry of the femoral trochlea, the femoral condyles, and the posterior surface of the patella.’
- ‘The shank markers were carefully placed in line with the lateral malleoli and lateral condyles at the point of greatest curvature of the lower legs.’
Mid 17th century: from French, from Latin condylus, from Greek kondulos ‘knuckle’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.