Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The degree to which an object conducts electricity, calculated as the ratio of the current that flows to the potential difference present. This is the reciprocal of the resistance, and is measured in siemens or mhos. (Symbol: G)
- ‘Hydraulic conductance measurements on single stems at different levels of applied pressure were the repeated factor.’
- ‘Hydraulic conductance was calculated as the flow rate divided by the pressure driving force.’
- ‘The authors use those data to produce a new allometric equation relating conductance to body mass.’
- ‘Skin conductance is measured by applying a constant voltage to the two electrodes.’
- ‘Further, at a given vapour pressure difference, O can serve as a measure of stomatal conductance as well.’
- ‘In this case the measured conductance would be lower with whole-cell recording.’
- ‘Subsequent measurements of leaf conductance on control plants were similar.’
- ‘Theoretically, conductivity should not be dependent on the path length of diffusion over which conductance is measured.’
- ‘Water use efficiency also decreased while the rate of transpiration and stomatal conductance remained unchanged.’
- ‘These calculations were based on measurements of midday leaf conductance.’
- ‘The faster subsequent increase in conductance may reflect the faster rate of channel growth.’
- ‘It measures root conductance while water flows opposite to the normal direction.’
- ‘Radial specific conductance was calculated for each delivery pressure as described above.’
- ‘In these studies, stomatal conductance is often measured as the indicator of a leaf response to changing water availability.’
- ‘Then, the measured stomatal conductance was compared with the index.’
- ‘At negative voltages the open channel conductance is higher than at the positive side.’
- ‘Boundary layer conductance may also be lower with a more open crown, thus further increasing transpiration.’
- ‘By combining gas exchange and fluorescence it is now possible to measure mesophyll conductance directly.’
- ‘At both sites, maximum leaf conductance was related to predawn shoot water potential.’
- ‘The thermal indices were compared with measured stomatal conductance.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.