One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The theory or practice of concrete poetry, in which the visual arrangement of words in patterns or forms on the page takes precedence over the semantic or phonetic elements involved.
- ‘Quite a number of useful industrially manufactured everyday objects have been given functional, rational and therefore beautiful forms in the spirit of concretism.’
- ‘In musical concretism, a material or concrete sound is one which reveals its affinity to the source of the sound.’
- ‘Thus an indeterminate composition approaches greater concretism by allowing nature to complete its form in its own course.’
- ‘The idea here was to avoid doing what the visual poem up till concretism had always done: make the visual follow on from the verbal.’
- ‘Among the diverse techniques and theories, modernism, concretism, and even some ‘parnasianisms,’ formalistic concerns are revisited.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.