One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The leading first-violin player in some orchestras.
- ‘Glenn Basham is associate professor of violin at the University of Miami, first violinist with the Bergonzi String Quartet and concertmaster of the Naples Philharmonic.’
- ‘Among his disciples are the well-known cello teacher George Neikrug and the late violist, William Primrose and among his students were concertmasters of major orchestras, including Joseph Silverstein.’
- ‘Kleiber disliked making records and grumbled when the Vienna Philharmonic changed concertmasters from one session to the next, but the spring in his overture was inspirational.’
- ‘The Palm Beach Opera Orchestra (led by former Cincinnati Symphony concertmaster Eliot Chapo) played splendidly with particularly incisive strings and brilliant brass.’
- ‘While in London, she served as concertmaster of the Royal Academy Chamber Orchestra.’
- ‘One of his concertmasters, William Preucil was lured away by the Cleveland Orchestra.’
- ‘For example, the opening violin solo (the concertmaster I assume) puts Strauss' voiceprint on it immediately.’
- ‘Smith, almost blind, sat down and memorised the piano part; he was joined by the cellist Moray Welsh and James Clark, concertmaster of the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.’
- ‘The concertmaster (whoever it was) and solo bassoonist are simply fantastic.’
- ‘In the second movement, concertmaster Christopher Warren-Green's realization of the scordatura violin writing is chillingly compelling.’
- ‘The concertmaster played a note on his violin and Lev tuned his instrument to it.’
- ‘However, I saw William Preucil, as concertmaster of the Cleveland Orchestra, do a Mozart violin solo and had to pick my jaw up off the ground.’
- ‘Four members of the orchestra's violin section (led by concertmasters Laszlo Pap and Lenka Hajkova) gave a brilliant traversal of the Concerto No 10 in B minor from Vivaldi's L' Estro Armonico, RV580.’
- ‘Unfortunately, its excellent concertmaster and first violinist, Guillermo Figueroa, may be leaving, so the season became one long audition of violin soloists.’
- ‘At the age of 25 he was teaching at the Vienna Academy, and five years later, he was named concertmaster of the Vienna Philharmonic.’
- ‘In conductor-led orchestras, the concertmaster is usually more of a team captain.’
- ‘For these concerts, the guest concertmaster is Michael Ludwig, associate concertmaster of the Philadelphia Orchestra.’
- ‘Without a doubt the star of this year's festival is acclaimed violinist and Israel Philharmonic Orchestra concertmaster Ilya Konovalov.’
- ‘Should I take a safe job as a concertmaster of an orchestra?’
- ‘Ellen de Pasquale served as concertmaster for both concerts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.