One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of music in the style of an overture but intended for independent performance.
- ‘Following Mitchell's announcement is an excerpt from a familiar and appropriate work: Elgar's concert overture, ‘Cockaigne (In London Town) ‘, op. 40, although it crashes in rather abruptly.’’
- ‘But in his last two decades he began writing successful film scores, operas, symphonies and a series of concert overtures illustrating formative events from American history.’
- ‘The concert overture I Høst, which followed two years later, was not much more successful.’
- ‘In a symphonic poem or a concert overture with a title or a programme, it is the latter that specifies the locus.’
- ‘The first performance of a violin concerto is a much-anticipated event - probably because so few are composed compared to other orchestral works such as concert overtures, suites and symphonies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.