One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The largest size of grand piano, up to 12 feet (2.75 m) long, that produces enough sound to be used for concerts in large halls.
- ‘I remember a dim, pea-green room with, at one end, a concert grand on a low wooden dais: an obsidian shrine, illuminated by track lights hung from the ceiling.’
- ‘At a particularly dramatic moment, I accidentally smashed one of the concert grand's lowest strings into smithereens, and the instrument lifted six inches into the air and bounced alarmingly on the stage.’
- ‘A piece from the adored Manenberg song came up, but like all the songs that he had been stroking on the concert grand, it faded quickly underneath another brilliant tune.’
- ‘The piano, a Yamaha concert grand, was purchased jointly five years ago by Musica Viva Lismore and Lismore City Council.’
- ‘Charlie was quick to recognize Adam's signature nine-foot Steinway concert grand piano on center stage.’
- ‘It is a re-creation of a historic Steinway concert grand piano that was first exhibited at the New York World's Fair in 1939.’
- ‘A concert pianist who is sitting down at the concert grand piano in Carnegie Hall in front of a packed house is the equivalent to an author publishing a finished book.’
- ‘On the stage, she saw three beautiful concert grand pianos.’
- ‘The Bechstein concert grand was the centerpiece of this year's performance.’
- ‘The second half of the concert was performed upon a modern Yamaha concert grand.’
- ‘The pianist's clipped articulation does suggest a fortepiano more than a modern concert grand, but interpretively, Kovacevich presents Beethoven as a nose-thumber out to turn things on their ears.’
- ‘Classically trained Amos plays her personal 9-foot Bosendorfer concert grand with its lid open on the tall stick.’
- ‘This is a New York Steinway concert grand, just like the one they have at Winspear, but each piano has its own personality.’
- ‘These days playing Bach on the modern concert grand is perfectly acceptable; maybe it's time we added a few earlier composers to the list?’
- ‘In the back parlor there are just one small sofa, two chairs, a scattering of occasional tables and an old Chickering concert grand from a ballroom downtown.’
- ‘They are full sized concert grand pianos destined to be played by the world's greatest and in some of its most famous halls.’
- ‘It will be the second time Dr Hamilton has played at the college to raise funds towards its new 7ft 4in concert grand, which arrived on Saturday.’
- ‘Hamlisch's concert shows are extraordinarily simple: Just him and his concert grand on the stage with limited use of special lighting - and no gimmicks.’
- ‘This year the arrival of the new concert grand piano makes the programme even more appealing.’
- ‘Today's modern concert grand is a wonderful instrument for the tonal music of 1800's Vienna.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.