Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The embryo in the uterus, especially during the early stages of pregnancy.
- ‘In the present study, haemorrhage of the conceptus is observed in LPS-induced pregnancy failure, indicating an increased permeability of the placental capillaries.’
- ‘It is estimated that between 60 and 80% of all conceptuses are lost early in gestation.’
- ‘It has been estimated that at least 50% of human conceptuses are aneuploid, although the vast majority are lost by miscarriage.’
- ‘The conceptus, like the infant, the child, and the adolescent, is a being who is in the process of unfolding its potential; that is, the potential to grow and develop itself but not to change what it is.’
- ‘But we do not suppose that this nature and plan by themselves account for the later development of the zygote and conceptus.’
- ‘Temporary heat stress near the time of estrus and ovulation can reduce oocyte quality by altering meiotic processes, directly affecting conceptus quality and survival.’
- ‘Thus, it is argued that pregnancy only comes within the law relating to abortion upon the implantation of the conceptus in the womb, not at the point of fertilization.’
- ‘The medical induction yielded intact products of conception in 122 cases, whereas 31 cases had to be completed by curettage, as the expulsion of the conceptus was incomplete.’
- ‘One or more intramuscular injections of the medication usually cause resorption or spontaneous tubal abortion of the ectopic conceptus.’
- ‘From the e18 conceptuses, brain, liver, and the placenta were dissected for methylation analysis.’
- ‘Thus the difference in susceptibility to RDS in premature singletons and multiples may depend on the size of the conceptus.’
- ‘In the pregnant cow, the conceptus (embryo and associated membranes) must inhibit the release of uterine PGF 2alpha so that the corpus luteum continues to secrete progesterone and pregnancy can be established.’
- ‘However, the error rate in a genetically modified or cloned conceptus is potentially so high that such applications should never be approved by any science ethics committee.’
- ‘Indeed it will be several weeks before a nervous system develops that could allow the developing conceptus to feel pain or be aware.’
- ‘And indeed biologists tend to talk about the embryo before that, as a conceptus or a pre-embryo.’
- ‘IUD insertion or mifepristone administration following ovulation may cause endometrial changes that could impede implantation of the conceptus in the endometrium.’
- ‘More pointedly, personal reality is not to be confused with ‘the presence of certain activities’ (either in the conceptus or the adult).’
Mid 18th century: from Latin, literally conception, embryo.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.