One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The theory that universals can be said to exist, but only as concepts in the mind.
- ‘Most American designers are either obsessed with objective space or suffer from just trying to make things look cool - but here there is evidence of honesty, conceptualism and philosophy.’
- ‘Using the self-effacing formal devices associated with conceptualism and minimalism, Piper interrogates the subjective effacement of the racial stereotype.’
- ‘By 1971 conceptualism had emerged in Sudan especially through the work of Muhammad Shaddad, co-founder of the Crystalist Group in Khartoum, who also co-authored the group's manifesto.’
- ‘Since the late '70s, Adrian Piper's art practice has deliberately melded the forms of '60s conceptualism and minimalism with identity based subject matter.’
- ‘That all of these levels were explicable within the work itself says volumes about the vitality of conceptualism in the 70s and 80s - it had not yet a reached a nadir of mannerist gestures.’
- ‘I find that the socialist conceptualism of the '70s and the soc-pop art phenomenon are so amazing - very strange and original.’
- ‘But LaBute is also concerned with the conflict between art and morality and the grandstanding exhibitionism of contemporary conceptualism.’
- ‘For us, the real attraction of the works is the absence around the images, the white grounds that give the works a sense of detached scientific observation that's also evocative of a cool modernist conceptualism.’
- ‘She embarked upon her three-decades-long career in the medium as a pioneer of conceptualism, and then went through a period of more classically themed work comprising landscape, cityscape, portraiture and still life.’
- ‘Thus he was particularly devoted to figurative painting, championing it at a time when conceptualism and ‘art theory’ kept all painting on the defensive.’
- ‘What is probably the very first monograph ever devoted to Auriol deals with his conceptualism.’
- ‘And for me this sums up the importance of James' brand of conceptualism: the artist and the work as facilitator towards developing a conceptual interrogation and response within the viewers themselves.’
- ‘If any creative or critical strategy establishes a firm link between contemporary and classical African art, that strategy is conceptualism: both emphasize the pre-eminence of idea over form.’
- ‘These artists overcome conceptualism in the same way that the image overcomes aestheticism, or that ‘anthropology’ overcomes ‘theory.’’
- ‘See, our mums and dads worked with the legacy of minimalism and conceptualism, their hold on the ‘presentness’ of the work, we are, by distinction, children of ‘the moment’.’
- ‘In conceptualism, these biographical narratives, tightly connected to both the text and image components, became an explicit part of the work's content.’
- ‘Most younger artists working now have rejected the polished surfaces of Post Modernism in favour of an eclectic mixture of conceptualism and craft.’
- ‘Body art, conceptualism, activism, and spectacle have linked with elaborate digital, reproductive, and imaging techniques to offer a promise of creativity that highlights issues related to technology.’
- ‘Its energetic program of 33 exhibitions per year, including the annual show of the Chalupecky Prize winner, focuses on minimalism, conceptualism and emerging artists.’
- ‘One consequence of this conceptualism was the loss of a feeling for complexity in art - the richness of specification of traditional mimesis and the intriguing formal relationships of modernist art were often abandoned.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.