Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Art in which the idea presented by the artist is considered more important than the finished product, if there is one.
- ‘To return to the Reese's analogy, the separate ‘tastes’ of conceptual art and an art informed by a politics of identity have much individual merit, but what do we get when they collide?’
- ‘Artists were engaged in such varied practices as minimalism, Earthworks, Photo-realism, conceptual art, performance art, and feminist art.’
- ‘Much of Cuban art today is firmly rooted in international aesthetic trends, particularly conceptual art.’
- ‘Gillette's method for producing the images combines elements of drawing, digital art, conceptual art and performance.’
- ‘With Temptation, Zhan Wang emphatically shifted his mode of sculptural production into the realms of installation and conceptual art.’
- ‘Indeed, it would be hard to decode his work without some experience or knowledge of performance art and conceptual art practices.’
- ‘Rosy Naylor founded her label Hatform in 2003, after originally training in sculpture and conceptual art at Glasgow School of Art.’
- ‘Another present day hierarchy in art places conceptual art at the apex, followed by paintings, then sculpture, and at the bottom the crafts.’
- ‘At January's London Art 2003 art fair, ‘there was a bit of resurgence of painting and less conceptual art shown,’ described Peck.’
- ‘As with abstract expressionism or some conceptual art pieces, from a viewer's perspective many of Barth's pieces offer form, but do not easily open themselves to share their content.’
- ‘Taking them from the boat and onto the glacial formations of art history required explaining how conceptual art differed from the beaux arts of classical painting or sculpture.’
- ‘In one scene a couple of characters wrestle with the idea of conceptual art.’
- ‘Driving through fashionable South Austin, it's not uncommon to see outdoor sculptures or conceptual art adorning the front lawns of modest ranch-style houses.’
- ‘They individually pick and choose among the large range of contemporary styles, from traditional painting to conceptual art.’
- ‘After all, how do you place performance art or conceptual art in a portfolio?’
- ‘The 56-year-old artist creates paintings, sculptures and conceptual art, but he is foremost an installation artist.’
- ‘In conceptual art the idea or concept is the most important aspect of the work.’
- ‘Whitfield's solo act is perfectly pitched, and his stage performance is augmented by some elegantly shot short films ranging from genre pastiche to conceptual art.’
- ‘After nearly forty years critics and artists are still defining conceptual art, even as it has since been assimilated by succeeding artists.’
- ‘Images of the human hand have been a primary source of visual inspiration for photographers in the expression of gesture and conceptual art.’
conceptual art/kənˈsep(t)SH(əw)əl ärt/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.