One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The action of mathematical calculation.‘months of computation carried out on 200 computers’‘statistical computations’
arithmetical problem, problem, calculation, reckoning, tally, questionView synonyms
- ‘He obtained the highest level in the civil-service examination having been educated in astronomy and calendar computation.’
- ‘He considered computation with irrational numbers and polynomials to be part of algebra.’
- ‘The computation of logarithms had made him aware of the inaccuracy of human calculation around 1812.’
- ‘I devote a lot of my time to thinking about the relationship between mathematics and computation.’
- ‘The method was applied to find the orbit of Swift's comet of 1880 and involved less computation than Gauss's method.’
- ‘Modern proof theory, and likewise the modern theory of machine computation, hinge on the concept of the recursive function.’
- ‘In fact Bowditch loved to carry out complex mathematical computations and the task of checking and correcting Moore's work was one he greatly enjoyed.’
- ‘Continuity is the mathematics of calculus and physics but there's never been a theory of computation that deals with this continuum.’
- ‘It was there that he developed the proof which states that automatic computation cannot solve all mathematical problems.’
- ‘The new system has the virtue of a lowered rate of tax, a simple method of computation, and an equitable spread.’
- ‘The text recognizes the essential role that computation plays in both mathematics and biology.’
- ‘He has a natural aptitude for computation and is very quick at figure work.’
- ‘This alleviates the expensive computation of exponential functions involved in the distributions.’
- ‘The theory of computation appears in the most unexpected places.’
- ‘I checked every computation, retraced every step, and reinvented every wheel.’
- ‘One example of such emergent, distributed computation is the density classification task.’
- ‘If we can have exact numerical computation, why would anyone choose approximate arithmetic?’
- ‘What is the difference between mathematics and computation?’
- ‘A short article cannot possibly describe the many fascinating aspects of quantum computation.’
- ‘He also wrote Golasara which is written in fifty-six Sanskrit verses and shows how mathematical computations are used to calculate astronomical data.’
- 1.1 The use of computers, especially as a subject of research or study.
Late Middle English: from Latin computatio(n-), from the verb computare (see compute).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.