Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action of mathematical calculation.‘months of computation carried out on 200 computers’[count noun] ‘statistical computations’
arithmetical problem, problem, calculation, reckoning, tally, questionView synonyms
- ‘It was there that he developed the proof which states that automatic computation cannot solve all mathematical problems.’
- ‘He considered computation with irrational numbers and polynomials to be part of algebra.’
- ‘The computation of logarithms had made him aware of the inaccuracy of human calculation around 1812.’
- ‘The method was applied to find the orbit of Swift's comet of 1880 and involved less computation than Gauss's method.’
- ‘Continuity is the mathematics of calculus and physics but there's never been a theory of computation that deals with this continuum.’
- ‘The theory of computation appears in the most unexpected places.’
- ‘The text recognizes the essential role that computation plays in both mathematics and biology.’
- ‘He has a natural aptitude for computation and is very quick at figure work.’
- ‘He also wrote Golasara which is written in fifty-six Sanskrit verses and shows how mathematical computations are used to calculate astronomical data.’
- ‘He obtained the highest level in the civil-service examination having been educated in astronomy and calendar computation.’
- ‘What is the difference between mathematics and computation?’
- ‘I devote a lot of my time to thinking about the relationship between mathematics and computation.’
- ‘The new system has the virtue of a lowered rate of tax, a simple method of computation, and an equitable spread.’
- ‘A short article cannot possibly describe the many fascinating aspects of quantum computation.’
- ‘I checked every computation, retraced every step, and reinvented every wheel.’
- ‘One example of such emergent, distributed computation is the density classification task.’
- ‘In fact Bowditch loved to carry out complex mathematical computations and the task of checking and correcting Moore's work was one he greatly enjoyed.’
- ‘Modern proof theory, and likewise the modern theory of machine computation, hinge on the concept of the recursive function.’
- ‘If we can have exact numerical computation, why would anyone choose approximate arithmetic?’
- ‘This alleviates the expensive computation of exponential functions involved in the distributions.’
- 1.1The use of computers, especially as a subject of research or study.
Late Middle English: from Latin computatio(n-), from the verb computare (see compute).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.