Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Musical rhythm or meter in which each beat in a bar is subdivided into three smaller units, so having the value of a dotted note.Compare with simple time
- ‘The irregular division of compound time is rare and notational ‘conventions’ are fluid.’
- ‘Dotted minims and dotted crotchets, foreign to simple time, are perfectly at home in compound time.’
- ‘The following example demonstrate the values of the notes in both simple and compound time signatures.’
- ‘Unlike simple time signatures, compound time signatures do not directly show us the number of beats per bar.’
- ‘To determine the number of beats per measure in compound time, divide the time signature's upper number by 3.’
compound time/kəmˈpound tīm/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.