One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sentence having two or more coordinate independent clauses and one or more dependent clauses.
- ‘A compound-complex sentence is just the combination of a compound sentence and a complex sentence.’
- ‘A compound-complex sentence has at least two independent clauses and at least one dependent clause.’
- ‘The compound-complex sentence will have a minimum of three clauses, and could have more.’
- ‘Complex and compound-complex sentence structures allow for a more subtle arrangement of ideas.’
- ‘She also requires that each paper have a certain number of compound, complex, and compound-complex sentences.’
- ‘Constructing simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex sentences correctly and using these sentence types appropriately are pre-requisites of becoming an effective writer.’
- ‘A compound-complex sentence consists of at least two independent clauses and one dependent clause.’
- ‘A compound-complex sentence is made up of at least one dependent clause, and two or more independent clauses.’
- ‘In this case, the sentence is called a compound-complex sentence.’
- ‘A compound-complex sentence is a sentence made up of more than one main clause and at least one subordinate clause.’
- ‘Since compound-complex sentences tend to become long and complicated, they should be used sparingly in business writing.’
- ‘The sentence in comment #5 looks like a compound-complex sentence to me.’
- ‘In the complex and compound-complex sentences, enclose the independent and dependent clauses in brackets.’
- ‘Any sentence with more than one main clause and at least one dependent clause is a compound-complex sentence.’
- ‘All of the following are compound-complex sentences or complex sentences.’
- ‘The offense for radio is the frequent use of compound-complex sentences where that passive tone most naturally occurs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.