One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having one's feelings and expression under control; calm.
calm, collected, cool, calm, and collected, cool, as cool as a cucumber, cool-headed, controlled, self-controlled, serene, tranquil, relaxed, at ease, self-possessed, unruffled, unperturbed, unflustered, undisturbed, unmoved, unbothered, untroubled, unagitatedView synonyms
- ‘Now he is much more collected and composed than he had been before.’
- ‘‘Yes, I understand that,’ he nodded, turning to face her again, his face composed and businesslike.’
- ‘She came as they always seemed to do, lovely and composed and unconcerned by the people who thronged about her stallion.’
- ‘Stockdale held his head in horror afterwards but, revealingly, went on to produce the kind of composed and focused performance that has typified his impressive ten-match stint in the first team.’
- ‘Consistent practice of this kind of imagery/simulation will help you stay calm, composed and strong through those tough spots.’
- ‘I am also a composed person and do not especially like risk - I prefer reliability to anything else.’
- ‘It seemed he couldn't find the person he was searching for because his expression fell and was replaced by a cold, composed look.’
- ‘Madeleine attempted no response at first, but the composed expression on her face was unwavering.’
- ‘Alex took a deep breath and faced the teacher with a composed expression.’
- ‘But instead, she remained silent, calm, composed and unaffected.’
- ‘For a quiet, level-headed lad, who is usually so composed and unflappable on the pitch, the prospect is one that exhilarates.’
- ‘The voice was cold and hostile, asking the question in a composed yet commanding way.’
- ‘Sol glanced around with composed indifference.’
- ‘The guy had returned to his calm and composed state.’
- ‘Perhaps what was most impressive was how such a young side remained so composed and confident throughout.’
- ‘‘We blew it,’ raged the normally calm and composed British boss.’
- ‘He had a calm, composed exterior, but inside, Kimberly knew that he was in anguish.’
- ‘The composed and rational side of their personality vanishes and is replaced by rage, aggression or whining.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.