One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having one's feelings and expression under control; calm.
calm, collected, cool, calm, and collected, cool, as cool as a cucumber, cool-headed, controlled, self-controlled, serene, tranquil, relaxed, at ease, self-possessed, unruffled, unperturbed, unflustered, undisturbed, unmoved, unbothered, untroubled, unagitatedView synonyms
- ‘She came as they always seemed to do, lovely and composed and unconcerned by the people who thronged about her stallion.’
- ‘‘Yes, I understand that,’ he nodded, turning to face her again, his face composed and businesslike.’
- ‘‘We blew it,’ raged the normally calm and composed British boss.’
- ‘The voice was cold and hostile, asking the question in a composed yet commanding way.’
- ‘Alex took a deep breath and faced the teacher with a composed expression.’
- ‘I am also a composed person and do not especially like risk - I prefer reliability to anything else.’
- ‘But instead, she remained silent, calm, composed and unaffected.’
- ‘The composed and rational side of their personality vanishes and is replaced by rage, aggression or whining.’
- ‘He had a calm, composed exterior, but inside, Kimberly knew that he was in anguish.’
- ‘Madeleine attempted no response at first, but the composed expression on her face was unwavering.’
- ‘It seemed he couldn't find the person he was searching for because his expression fell and was replaced by a cold, composed look.’
- ‘Sol glanced around with composed indifference.’
- ‘Now he is much more collected and composed than he had been before.’
- ‘Consistent practice of this kind of imagery/simulation will help you stay calm, composed and strong through those tough spots.’
- ‘Perhaps what was most impressive was how such a young side remained so composed and confident throughout.’
- ‘Stockdale held his head in horror afterwards but, revealingly, went on to produce the kind of composed and focused performance that has typified his impressive ten-match stint in the first team.’
- ‘The guy had returned to his calm and composed state.’
- ‘For a quiet, level-headed lad, who is usually so composed and unflappable on the pitch, the prospect is one that exhilarates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.