One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having one's feelings and expression under control; calm.
calm, collected, cool, calm, and collected, cool, as cool as a cucumber, cool-headed, controlled, self-controlled, serene, tranquil, relaxed, at ease, self-possessed, unruffled, unperturbed, unflustered, undisturbed, unmoved, unbothered, untroubled, unagitatedView synonyms
- ‘The guy had returned to his calm and composed state.’
- ‘Consistent practice of this kind of imagery/simulation will help you stay calm, composed and strong through those tough spots.’
- ‘Perhaps what was most impressive was how such a young side remained so composed and confident throughout.’
- ‘Now he is much more collected and composed than he had been before.’
- ‘It seemed he couldn't find the person he was searching for because his expression fell and was replaced by a cold, composed look.’
- ‘But instead, she remained silent, calm, composed and unaffected.’
- ‘Madeleine attempted no response at first, but the composed expression on her face was unwavering.’
- ‘The voice was cold and hostile, asking the question in a composed yet commanding way.’
- ‘For a quiet, level-headed lad, who is usually so composed and unflappable on the pitch, the prospect is one that exhilarates.’
- ‘He had a calm, composed exterior, but inside, Kimberly knew that he was in anguish.’
- ‘‘Yes, I understand that,’ he nodded, turning to face her again, his face composed and businesslike.’
- ‘Alex took a deep breath and faced the teacher with a composed expression.’
- ‘She came as they always seemed to do, lovely and composed and unconcerned by the people who thronged about her stallion.’
- ‘Stockdale held his head in horror afterwards but, revealingly, went on to produce the kind of composed and focused performance that has typified his impressive ten-match stint in the first team.’
- ‘The composed and rational side of their personality vanishes and is replaced by rage, aggression or whining.’
- ‘Sol glanced around with composed indifference.’
- ‘I am also a composed person and do not especially like risk - I prefer reliability to anything else.’
- ‘‘We blew it,’ raged the normally calm and composed British boss.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.