One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Artists and intellectuals are called upon not to offer critique or alternative visions but to sidle in compliantly amongst the lowest rungs of this same pantheon and so to boost its size and glory.’
- ‘I smiled unsurely back at him, and then compliantly replied to his comment about the disgustingness of our cafeteria's food, and soon enough a conversation had started.’
- ‘‘Alright, alright,’ she murmured compliantly, not looking towards the purple-haired boy.’
- ‘He stepped on the brake, and it slowed compliantly.’
- ‘‘He planted a great collection of trees,’ he says finally, as he compliantly offers his inimitable profile to the photographer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.