One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A circle showing the principal directions printed on a map or chart.
- ‘Above the sign was painted an ornate compass rose to indicate the necessary direction.’
- ‘Arrayed around it like points on the compass rose were sections of the house.’
- ‘Speaking of new functions in version 2.12, what is the interpretation of the ‘second transparent arrow’ in the compass rose?’
- ‘Sometimes the chart is highly decorated with religious images, illustrations of local rulers, flags, coats-of-arms, compass roses and town vignettes.’
- ‘The IQ-Compeo will display the values of six user selected variables (from a list of 18 possible variables) in the lower half of the screen surrounding the compass rose.’
- ‘At the $8 tier, Sunrise will be spun off as a separate brand and replaced by Xplorador, crafted especially for the U.S. market and featuring a compass rose and map on the label to symbolize adventure.’
- ‘With a simple mental command, he called up a map of the area, and summoned a compass rose.’
- ‘It is printed with a compass rose marking the eight standard directions, N, S, E, W, NE, NW, SE, SW.’
- ‘It was round, with a glittering gold compass rose painted on the ground.’
- ‘The sepia tones of the land areas yield to soft blues and greens that continue over the ceiling, anchored by a compass rose in the ceiling's center.’
- ‘The wax revealed a compass rose made up of cross bones.’
- ‘I don't use the Garmin maps that often, and especially not in flight (I've got too much else to do), so the arrow and compass rose that the Galileo displayed was really fine by me.’
- ‘The compass rose is a symbol for the Special Forces Brigade’
compass rose/ˈkəmpəs rōz/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.