Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The practice of comparing the price of products or services from different vendors before buying.
- ‘Comparison shopping on the Internet can be helpful, especially for those who look for Canadian pharmacy sites.’
- ‘During the last shopping trip to my local grocery store, I did some comparison shopping with a few more commonly purchased items.’
- ‘I tend to do plenty of research before making purchases, and do comparison shopping most of the time.’
- ‘The consortium estimates the average household could save about $1,000 a year by comparison shopping.’
- ‘You can also do some comparison shopping for used air compressors at auction sites like eBay.’
- ‘Similarly, the exchange for comparison shopping is really a non-factor barely worth mentioning.’
- ‘The general feeling now is that shows are more for comparison shopping than signing deals.’
- ‘Comparison shopping has its moments of minor euphoria.’
- ‘Olson says investors buying individual bonds should do a little comparison shopping.’
- ‘He adds: "The Internet added comparison shopping to the mix."’
- ‘Ten years later, Stuart reported on his own comparison shopping.’
- ‘Many people who visit travel sites are just comparison shopping.’
- ‘For conventional refinances, be sure to do comparison shopping among lenders to find the best terms.’
- ‘There are partial solutions being implemented that automate rate tables for a single carrier or allow limited comparison shopping for a few basic services.’
- ‘This makes comparison shopping (comparing prices on similar items at different stores) easy.’
- ‘The 2,800-square-meter emporium houses 25 marques under one roof, making comparison shopping - normally a tedious process - a snap.’
- ‘The customers start using that benefits list for comparison shopping.’
- ‘Maybe Jacob should have done some comparison shopping or checked out Consumer Reports first.’
- ‘Feel free to tell the dealer that you are comparison shopping, just don't reveal any quotes you've received.’
- ‘Once you have these little details in mind, then you can start your comparison shopping.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.