One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reduce the signal-to-noise ratio of (a signal) using a compander.
- ‘It compands the irritation due to the high EO content.’
- ‘E.D.R. compands the audio program for better signal to noise ratios and improved dynamic range.’
- ‘The patch diagrammed in Figure 9.8 shows one very useful application of companding, called a noise gate.’
- ‘The Compander software compander compands without changing the pitch or natural warmth of the audio.’
- ‘Disclosed is a method and apparatus for time companding a digital voice signal wherein, single bits are periodically removed from the digital voice signal, which is then compressed thereby forming a contiguous area of removed bits.’
1950s: back-formation from compander.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.