One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medium-sized car.
- ‘Another prediction: high chroma paints (those with great color intensity) will put more punch in reds and light blues, especially on compact cars and sports cars.’
- ‘But Americans never developed a taste for compact cars and never will.’
- ‘Low-tech rear drum brakes have been standard for even high-level compact cars like the Civic and Corolla, but the Spectra fits solid discs in the rear combined with vented discs in the front.’
- ‘Officials will not give specific figures but say fuel economy will be equivalent to that of a compact car, and the hybrid will produce fewer emissions than a standard SUV.’
- ‘Just as automotive companies must respond to the latest customer vehicle trends - from compact cars to full-sized SUVs - they also must also listen to consumer desires for the engines and transmissions that power these vehicles.’
- ‘A compact car to us, Europeans would consider this mid-range.’
- ‘The desired result was a compact car offering performance and drive-ability.’
- ‘A compact car such as the Honda Civic two-door that scores five stars in the side-impact test offers better protection than a bigger car that scores fewer stars.’
- ‘Technology also continues to spread to compact cars in Europe.’
- ‘The same year, General Motors opened its fourth plant in China, a $108 million facility to double production of Buick sedans and compact cars.’
- ‘According to Dunlop research, auto enthusiasts buy up to 10 percent of U.S. replacement tires - 22.5 million tires - to upgrade sport compact cars.’
- ‘Oh, and it weighs about 265 lb., can fit under the hood of a compact car, and the combustion technology is adaptable to most any piston or rotary engine architecture.’
- ‘Car rental agencies usually have better deals on compact cars.’
- ‘It will have all the luxury and utility of the standard Lexus CUV, with two important differences: It will have the fuel economy of a compact car, yet it will accelerate faster.’
- ‘The Astra Diesel Hybrid demonstrates how hybrid components can be integrated into a compact car without compromising passenger comfort and the vehicle's utility.’
- ‘Then you could wedge those big cubic inches into mid-size, even compact cars.’
- ‘In the December, 2002 issue page 38, the article refers to the 2003 Peugeot as a compact car.’
- ‘The Ford Aspire is an entry-level compact car that was sold by the Ford Motor Company from the United States starting from 1994 and ending during the year 1997.’
- ‘Designed in a new sleek profile, these custom parts' subtle styling complements many of today's popular compact cars.’
- ‘Withdrawing from heavier trucks and compact cars after 1995 cost 2.0 points while an increase in imported European models contributed one point.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.