One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fund for charitable activities among the people in a particular area.
- ‘Since then, the entry has been funded by the community chest.’
- ‘Various funding pots are being explored, including the council's community chest, area forum and the North Yorkshire Area Committee.’
- ‘In turn we are expected to contribute to the community chest when we are well and working.’
- ‘A £500 grant was donated by their community chest and a variety of fundraising events are being held over the next few months.’
- ‘Parents can also bid for up to £5,000 from a Sure Start community chest to run schemes of their choice.’
- ‘Among his first public proclamations was a call for the relief of the poor and the establishment of community chests to provide interest-free loans to the needy.’
community chest/kəˈmyo͞onədē CHest/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.