Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Interested in helping the wider community; socially concerned.‘community-minded businesses’‘residents need to be community-minded and look out for each other’
community-minded, socially concerned, philanthropic, charitable, helpful to othersView synonyms
- ‘He's incredibly community-minded - a philanthropist.’
- ‘Two community-minded people have earned the Maldon Mayor's Award for Service to the Community.’
- ‘Traditional societies are noted for their parochialism and poverty, but they are also characteristically more community-minded and more giving to strangers.’
- ‘Most councillors are community-minded and give a great deal of volunteer hours.’
- ‘The group wants to hear from any community-minded businesses or individuals willing to sponsor the production costs.’
- ‘Tokyo needs more community-minded business people like this.’
- ‘People here are very, very friendly and everyone is very community-minded.’
- ‘Community-minded youngsters will be get the chance to tell the council how to improve at a special youth conference this week.’
- ‘Unless more community-minded entrepreneurs like Mr Belt are willing to take on post office duties, this situation will worsen.’
- ‘The 1950s were slower, friendlier and more community-minded, and there was less crime and greater innocence.’
- ‘While the Blue Jays will begin 2005 without their on-field leader, they'll also be missing one of Toronto's most popular and community-minded sports superstars.’
- ‘This means community-minded people have to start thinking about municipal politics now.’
- ‘It's an image that epitomizes everything good about the area and the community-minded people that inhabit it.’
- ‘It was the city's network of ethnic, community-minded radio that helped rescue workers and concerned locals navigate the disaster areas.’
- ‘They're robbing the system of some very community-minded people who want to contribute by providing blood.’
- ‘Bradford firms are among the most community-minded in the country.’
- ‘The study found teenagers who were already community-minded were unaffected by the new mandate.’
- ‘We are lucky because we have really community-minded parents helping us out.’
- ‘Ms Wood said she was honoured to be part of such a community-minded project.’
- ‘PC Walker said: "Residents need to be community-minded and look out for each other".’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.