One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A satellite placed in orbit around the earth in order to relay television, radio, and telephone signals.
space station, space capsule, spacecraftView synonyms
- ‘It had more to do with launching communications satellites (to enable our interactive networks) than going to space.’
- ‘In July of that year it achieved this through the Apollo Program, going on to a number of unmanned space flights and to placing spy satellites, together with weather and communications satellites, into the earth's orbit.’
- ‘The station can receive more than 5,000 programmes from 53 communications satellites and transmit them to a French satellite, which then sends the programmes all over the world, Chen says.’
- ‘Perfect for TV and communications satellites.’
- ‘China re-entered space yesterday evening, sending a communication satellite into orbit.’
- ‘Still other communications satellites are used to relay reconnaissance pictures to ground stations or to troops in the field.’
- ‘It pulls down millions of phone, email, and fax communications going through to international communications satellites located over the Pacific equator.’
- ‘And communications satellites will make it possible for reporters to instantly transmit heartbreaking stories and scenes of civilian carnage that are not always put in context when picked up by other media outlets.’
- ‘By far the most common satellite type launched, and perhaps the one that has had the greatest impact on people's lives, is the communication satellite.’
- ‘In the early twenty-first century, the space around Earth is filled with orbiting communications satellites, mostly owned and operated by private industry.’
- ‘A 1994 solar storm caused major malfunctions to two communications satellites, disrupting newspaper, network television and nationwide radio service throughout Canada.’
- ‘It is expected to disrupt the communications satellites and high frequency radios.’
- ‘These sites have giant radio antennas that can pick up all traffic handled by communications satellites.’
- ‘The receivers being developed will be used on communications satellites and will reduce the dependence on ground-based stations for position determination.’
- ‘New commercial remote-imaging and communications satellites are being launched at an increasing pace.’
- ‘Mobile telephones, the internet and communications satellites have developed a long way.’
communications satellite/kəˌmyo͞onəˈkāSHənz ˈsadlˌīt/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.