Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of knowledge dealing with the principles and methods by which information is conveyed.
- ‘She moved to France in 1980 to study language and communications theory at the Université de Paris III, then got an MBA at New York's Columbia Business School.’
- ‘He responded, ‘Yes, that's right, it's got a lot to do with social science, behavioural science, communication theory and market research.’’
- ‘Modern communications theory teaches that what is being heard is as important as what is being said.’
- ‘I thought it more likely that they simply found it convenient to hunt in packs, but I wanted to learn more about this communication theory.’
- ‘He then went on to teach communication theory at Macquarie University and the London College of Printing.’
- ‘This was the first attempt in communications theory to view the audience as active in their selection of content and messages from the media, and posits that much mass media use is goal-directed.’
- ‘I notice in communications theory that there are a large number of very simple concepts, blatantly obvious facts for the most part, which are dressed up in the most convoluted, pointless and meaningless language!’
- ‘Summarizing his findings, he stresses that mathematical and cognitive models from communication theory have neglected the more affective aspects of narrative.’
- ‘Rather, it is a framework or structure that draws from many other disciplines such as communications theory.’
- ‘A key word here is ‘information,’ whose usage goes beyond the simple notions of communication theory to embrace the widest possible concept of the creation of dynamic order and pattern.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.