One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a commune.
- ‘The communards resolutely refused to have anything do with religious icons.’
- 1.1historical A supporter of the Paris Commune.
- ‘He wrote the original French lyrics shortly after the defeat of the communards.’
- ‘The Communards set about reorganising Paris along democratic socialist lines.’
- ‘Suspicious of royalist strength and opposing the armistice made with Prussia, the Communards wanted to continue the war and were determined that France should regain the principles of the First Republic.’
- ‘He was the only painter of the Impressionist group to record the destruction of the Commune, and was outraged by the ruthless way in which the Communards were massacred.’
- ‘For instance, if you read about the Paris Commune, whether or not you agree with the position of the Communards, the Paris Commune is a tremendously exciting story.’
Late 19th century: from French, from commune.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.