One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A number that can be divided into all of the other numbers of a given set without any remainder. Also called common factor.
- ‘So 24 is the greatest common divisor of 168 and 720.’
- ‘But he would know how to reduce fractions to their lowest terms by dividing top and bottom by the greatest common divisor.’
- ‘If d is any common divisor of these, then d would divide their sum, c, and their difference, a.’
- ‘To find the greatest common divisor of 77 and 187 using this algorithm involves the process of long division, which you might have first encountered in elementary school.’
- ‘Then divide the length of the road by the greatest common divisor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.