One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A number that can be divided into all of the other numbers of a given set without any remainder. Also called common factor.
- ‘But he would know how to reduce fractions to their lowest terms by dividing top and bottom by the greatest common divisor.’
- ‘Then divide the length of the road by the greatest common divisor.’
- ‘So 24 is the greatest common divisor of 168 and 720.’
- ‘If d is any common divisor of these, then d would divide their sum, c, and their difference, a.’
- ‘To find the greatest common divisor of 77 and 187 using this algorithm involves the process of long division, which you might have first encountered in elementary school.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.